Over at Considerings, there is a weekly challenge known as Ten Things of Thankful. Although it’s been running for a year now (and had virtual cake for their anniversary celebration), I’ve only just joined this week. More about my motivation as I get into my list of the ten things I’m thankful for in the past week.
1. I’m thankful for the people I’ve met virtually through the blogging world. Today, that especially includes Sheena who has inspired me to finally join the challenge this week. She has a wicked sense of humor and a great writing style. Go check out her blog–you’re in for a treat. And I need also need to thank Sheena for the title of my post. Her title so resonated with me, that I adopted it. Thanks, Sheena! 🙂
2. I’m thankful that this semester is finally over (other than exams and final grading). Whose idea was it to have 18-week semesters in college? Geez, it’s like the semester NEVER ends. Even my best students seem to lose their momentum once we get to week 14.
3. Which brings me to how thankful I am for my students. The vast majority of them are a delight, and I appreciate how they become a part of my life and invite me to be part of theirs.
4. I’m thankful that book 3 of the textbook series was pretty much finished this week. A huge heap of frustrations lifted from my shoulder. Sure, I have to start book 4, but I can get a head start on it over the summer break (along with 5 other must-do projects). The schedule for my work this summer looks much more manageable with this part of the project behind me.
5. I’m thankful for people smart enough not to ask me where I’m going or what plans I have for summer vacation. This does not compute. I understand when fellow bloggers ask crazy questions like that–they’re forgiven. But the people who know what my obligations are? Seriously?
6. I’m thankful that I am entering my final year of living in Taiwan. Don’t get me wrong, I love Taiwan, but I don’t love this workload. I’m willing to scramble like hell this summer and throughout the next academic year for the promise of returning to my homeland in summer of 2015. OK, so there is a tiny rant there, but mostly, I’m thankful. 🙂
7. I’m thankful that I still have another here in Taiwan. I’ve had some great experiences and seen some amazing things. But I still have a list of things I want to see and do. I’m thankful to have a year to accomplish some of them.
8. I’m thankful for my husband, Dave, who is steady in his support of me, even when I get so terribly frustrated. I would not be able to get through all the projects and deadlines without him. It’s amazing that I’m able to keep making progress on my weight loss, because his wonderful meals just keep getting better.
9. I’m thankful for my family and friends back in the US, and how supportive they are even though this is the first year I cannot go back and visit in the summer. They understand and they encourage me, even when I feel a little homesick. A special hug to my daughter Kate for being a Facebook friend and fellow blogger in addition to being my daughter and a wonderful mother to Mr. Logan. You can find her blog here.
10. I’m thankful for our little rescue chihuahua, Puppy, who is finally learning to come to me when I call her (if she’s already out of bed). That will be the next trick–seeing if I can entice her from her comfy little bed. She now will sit on my lap while I work on the computer. And she is also wicked good at helping me with Sudoku puzzles.
Isn’t she cute? 🙂
What are you thankful for this week? Share here or link up with the group at Considerings!